It’s that time of year, again. Let’s all make smarter choices and give our planet a gift everyone can appreciate.
These festive tips will also help save you money (when you probably need it most).
Keep the holiday well-read and green
• Inside or out, LED lights are the only choice; saving 90% of the energy traditional lights used.
• Set lights on a timer – on at 7; off at midnight.
• Don’t pre-heat ovens for cooking something that will take hours (eg. turkey).
• Turn off electric ovens a few minutes before. Residual heat will finish the job.
• Use the window and a cooking timer instead of opening your oven door – you let 20% of the oven’s heat escape each time (plus, it takes longer).
• Cook several items in the your oven simultaneously. Use the space!
• Don’t forget other appliances: microwaves, toaster ovens and slow cookers.
• Wash only full loads of dishes; any less is a waste of water and power.
• Most of all, give energy-efficient gifts to friends and loved ones.