To identify energy-efficient windows, skylights and sliding glass doors, look for the ENERGY STAR® label. The label indicates which climate zone(s) the product qualifies for. Four climate zones have been designated across Canada, the more zones a product qualifies for, the more energy efficient it is. ENERGY STAR information is also in the product literature for each model. ENERGY STAR qualified windows will reduce your energy costs up to 12%.
ENERGY STAR® qualified windows, skylights and sliding glass doors will have many of the following features:
• Double or triple glazing with sealed insulating glass unit.
• Low-emissivity (low-e) glass.
• Inert gas, such as argon or krypton, in the sealed unit.
• Low conductivity or ‘warm edge’ spacer bars.
• Insulated frames and sashes.
• Superior air-tightness.
To minimize heat loss, windows must be insulated and air sealed at the frame-to-wall joint when installed. You need to confirm this procedure with the contractor prior to and during the installation.