Here are some easy, safe and efficient tips to keep your home at a comfortable temperature, no matter what the season. Best of all, you’ll save money too.
Adjust your thermostat and try zone heating
• Set your thermostat 3°C (5°F) lower while asleep or away from home, and save up to 6% on your heating bill.
• Use a programmable thermostat that adjusts temperatures according to your schedule.
• Install a thermostat with a zoning system to stop heating areas of your home you’re not using.
• Try do-it-yourself zone heating by closing doors and heating vents in unused rooms.
Improve air circulation
• Keep curtains and furniture from blocking your heating vents.
• Vacuum dust and pet hair out of your warm air registers and cold air returns and make sure that the dampers in your warm air registers are open.
• Circulate heat throughout your house with electric ceiling fans.
• Keep your basement or lower floors reasonably warm – the heat will rise through to the rest of your house.
• Close your chimney damper when not using your fireplace.
Let the sunshine in
• Open blinds and curtains during the day to let the sun warm your home and close them at night to keep heat inside.